Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Great Serger Experiment

I found this wonderful piece of sweater knit fabric at JoAnn's before Thanksgiving. There was just over a yard of it which was less than I needed to make a jacket. I bought it because it was the perfect color to go with a skirt that I have had for about 5 years and hardly worn because I had nothing to go with it! I decided to jump right in and see what I could do with the fabric.

I started with an old Simplicity pattern that I have used for years for a simple, unstructured, knit jacket. I had enough fabric for a shorter jacket with 3/4 sleeves, but I don't particularly like 3/4 sleeves - especially in the winter. I set the project aside to think about it (remember I am a great thinker!).

When I went back to it I decided to use my serger to add pieces to the bottom of the front and back and sleeves to make them longer. I used a flatlock stitch.

I went with that idea and added plackets on the front and a neckband. Here I used a combination of flatlock and cover stitches. The neckband went on 4 times before it was what I wanted! I ended up putting the raw edges of the neckband over the neck edge and topstitching with the coverstitch.

I'm so happy with the results. The only thing I may still change on it is to add some shaping at the waist in the side seams and maybe shorten the sleeves.

Now I have the perfect thing to wear with my plum colored skirt, but it also goes with my gray dress pants, faded black jeans and gray skirt!